Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: 515 magnet weight

  1. #1
    Junior Hostboard Member GST's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2006
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    This is my first post, hello to all. Can anybody tell my, why there is a difference between the weight of the magnets of the 515
    woofers? Some of them are 2 lbs heavier than others.Same gold labels or RWB. From outside no difference, the 515B are all less 2 lbs. Maybe someone knows that, thanks for answers.
    Regards, GST

  2. #2
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've noticed the same thing, I believe the 515's stamped "VOICE" were the lighter models, the magnet might be the sane and it's possible just the return pot is thinner metal like you run into on the 802 series horn drivers, great observance, Dave. The attached link might not work as you might need to be an Audio Karma member to view it.


    Some of My A7's

  3. #3
    Junior Hostboard Member GST's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 12th, 2006
    Posts
    27
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello dgwojo

    This could be, but 2 lbs is very much, have you ever measured the gauss from this different magnets, I can?t do it, don?t have the instruments. Thanks for your reply, GST

  4. #4
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't have any way to measure the gauss, at any rate my 515's are about 53 years old, I'd have the alnico recharged before doing any measurements. The thicker return pots on the 802's are quite a bit heavier so I can only imagine the 515 motor would be at least 2 pounds difference. Let's see if anyone else chimes in here, Dave.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.